What is best hard drive for Linux?

I just replaced a hard drive. Thinking this a routine choice I bought the one with a big rebate, namely Western Digital. I wasn.t too upset that the installation CD was only for Windows and Macintosh but I was shocked to find the following message at the bottom of the installation instructions:

      Operating Systems Supported
      WARNING!
      Using an operating system not listed below could result in data loss.

followed by a list of Windows and Macintosh operating systems.

If I had known this I would never have purchased the Western Digital drive and, needless to say, I will never purchase another. I proceeded to format it with ext2 partitions using my Debian CD's and have not noticed any problems. Why would they say such a thing? What should I buy next time?

Tom