Re: What is best hard drive for Linux?

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 11:06:05AM -0500, Thomas H. George <xyz@spininternet.com> wrote:
>       Operating Systems Supported
>       WARNING!
>       Using an operating system not listed below could result in data loss.
>
> followed by a list of Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
>
> If I had known this I would never have purchased the Western Digital
> drive and, needless to say, I will never purchase another.  I proceeded
> to format it with ext2 partitions using my Debian CD's and have not
> noticed any problems.  Why would they say such a thing?
 All I can remember that some old win$ os-es (fe win$98) switched off
too soon either the machine or the disk that it could not really write
out data from it's (big) cache. Also, they may refer to the SMART
capability of the drive, meaning one os which can not monitor it, may
not warn you in time that the disk is going to be fault. No other idea
beyond those.

> What should I
> buy next time?
 I have a lot of different IDE and SCSI dics under Linux: Quantum,
Western Digital, Fujitsu, Seagate, IBM, Compay, you name it. Never had
any problems with them...

Cheers,
GCS