Re: References headers missing in debian-user-digest

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 06:48:46PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 06:41:52PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > But you don't get the digest version, do you?
> Nope.  Never saw the point, since it's easier to deal with each
> message individually.

True, so I burst the digests and recover the contents as individual messages.

The digest has certain advantages when you have a low-bandwidth and/or
metered connection:

- The overall volume of data to be downloaded is significantly reduced by
the header weeding. It's not uncommon for non-weeded messages to have a lot
more header than body.
- The protocol overhead for fetching mail from a POP3 server is significant.
It's faster to download one 30k message than ten 3k messages.
- When using mailfilter or similar to de-swen the POP3 mailbox before
downloading, the time taken depends on the number of messages and not on
their size, so receiving the digest speeds the process up tremendously.

Be kind to pigeons