Re: References headers missing in debian-user-digest

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 06:48:46PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 06:41:52PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > But you don't get the digest version, do you?
>
> Nope.  Never saw the point, since it's easier to deal with each
> message individually.

True, so I burst the digests and recover the contents as individual messages.

The digest has certain advantages when you have a low-bandwidth and/or
metered connection:

- The overall volume of data to be downloaded is significantly reduced by
the header weeding. It's not uncommon for non-weeded messages to have a lot
more header than body.
- The protocol overhead for fetching mail from a POP3 server is significant.
It's faster to download one 30k message than ten 3k messages.
- When using mailfilter or similar to de-swen the POP3 mailbox before
downloading, the time taken depends on the number of messages and not on
their size, so receiving the digest speeds the process up tremendously.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons