exim + courier-imap catch-all?

I'm running debian unstable on my server trying to set up a mail server
with Exim (3.36)  running as MTA and also running courier-imap.

With just exim installed, I use search_type = lsearch* with a *:
catchall entry in my alias file so that any misaddressed email goes to
the catchall account. This works fine and the mail is delivered
correctly to /var/mail/$username files.

However, to use courier, I modified exim.conf local_delivery to look
  driver = appendfile
  group = mail
  mode = 0660
  mode_fail_narrower = false
  envelope_to_add = true
  return_path_add = true

  maildir_format = true
  prefix = ""

And now everything including correctly addressed email goes to the
catchall. If I change search_type = lsearch* to search_type = lsearch
then all mail goes to the correct users but misaddressed email is

Is there anyway to have a catchall with delivery compatible with