Re: [OT] Slashdot and media accuracy (was Re: Improved Debian Project Emergency Communications)

scripsit Monique Y. Herman:

> Friends of mine postulated the idea of having "politician duty" in
> much the same was as we have jury duty ... you get a letter one day
> telling you it's your turn to serve.  Pretty sure this was done in at
> least one ancient govt ... think it was Athens.

Funny that you came up with that; my recent political utopianizing (if I
may coin a word) involved much the opposite -- a dedicated active
citizenry which would be required to give up private property.  The
problem this was intended to address is the corrupting influence a
politician's particular, private interests exert on his or her attention
to the greater interests of the community.  The goal was to eliminate
the distinction, on the part of the decision makers, between their
particular interest and the general good.  The result (which is, of
course, problematic for other reasons) is something like a
philosopher-aristocracy.

--
Pax vobiscum; pax cum omnibus.

Thanasis Kinias