Re: source.list won't stat (problem gone)

> From: Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:23:16AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> > From: Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>
> > > If you re-run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", you can change this.
> >
> > Yes, but why do I need to emulate 3-button when I have a middle
> > scroll-button on the mouse?
>
> Sounds like you might have told X the wrong mouse type, if that doesn't
> work.

I suspect as much. I find that I have two mouse sections in my X
configuration, and their Protocol is "PS/2", while my Microsoft mouse
is an IntelliMouse, which has its own "IntelliMuse"
protocol. Actually, I've got in hand a Logitech optical, and figured
I'd have to investigate configuration in greater depth to get it
working, and so hadn't worried much up to this point. The Microsoft
mouse was just an emergency measure when my old Logitech finally gave
up the ghost after years of abuse.

But the wheel/button is irrelevant in any case, for I was trying to
paste with the keyboard the material I had previously highlited in
xterm. Maybe that simply can't be done. Maybe it can with gterm (?)
and I've got a dim recollection of that.

> Let me save you a wild goose chase: X doesn't require gpm for any kind
> of mouse support. gpm is only for the console. Installing it might make
> your life slightly more complicated, because suddenly you have to worry
> about repeaters and /dev/gpmdata and weird stuff like that.

Thanks! I quickly uninstalled it. I don't generally feel any need for a
mouse when operating in console.

Haines