Re: Microsoft good press over Longhorn

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:21:28AM +0800, csj wrote:
> Kind of reminds you of a certain highly stable GNU/Linuxdistro?
> Really, there are tons of DOS or Win 3.1 era games that are
> infinitely more fun than the latest 3D fragfest.  Right now I'm
> trying out the freeware "beneath-a-steel-sky" (I wonder how it
> made it into main).

Perhaps because it's really DFSG-free now?

Beneath a Steel Sky was debianzied by Tore Anderson on the 15th Aug 2003.

It was downloaded from <http://www.scummvm.org/>.

Upstream Author:  Revolution Software, Inc. <http://www.revolution.co.uk/>.

Copyright:

 Preamble:
   Basically, give this game away, share it with your friends. Don't remove this
 Readme, or pretend you wrote it. You can include it in a software collection,
 like a linux distribution or coverdisk (which may be sold), but using it in
 things like commercial adventure game collections without asking is just
 playing dirty. This preamble is not legally binding, but is to clarify the
 intent of the following license.

 License:
  1) You may distribute this game for free on any medium, provided this readme
 and all associated copyright notices and disclaimers are left intact.

  2) You may charge a reasonable copying fee for this archive, and may
 distribute it in aggregate as part of a larger & possibly commercial software
 distribution (such as a Linux distribution or magazine coverdisk). You must
 provide proper attribution and ensure this readme and all associated copyright
 notices, and disclaimers are left intact.

  3) You may not charge a fee for the game itself. This includes reselling the
 game as an individual item.

  4) You may modify the game as you wish.  You may also distribute modified
 versions under the terms set forth in this license, but with the additional
 requirement that the work is marked with a prominent notice which states that
 it is a modified version.

  5) All game content is (C) Revolution Software Ltd. The ScummVM engine is (C)
 The ScummVM Team (www.scummvm.org)

  6) THE GAMEDATA IN THIS ARCHIVE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
 IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING AND NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
 MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

The Debian-related build scripts are placed in the public domain.

The only part that might be objectionable is the part that says they'd
prefer to be asked about commercial distribution. That's only in the
preamble, which they explicitly say isn't legally binding.

As for point 3), it's worth reading DFSG #1 carefully.

Cheers,