Re: [OT] Please STOP it! -- Was: Look at these update from M$ Corporation.

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 08:41:19PM +0200, Pim Bliek | PingWings.nl wrote:
> Can we PLEASE cut this thread?
> It is way off topic and it starts to get really annoying.
>
> This list is already high-volume, and I don't mind a good discussion, but
> this is a bit too much don't you think?

Sorry. This list is overdue for a long off-topic rant, and it is
necessary for at least five people to complain in increasingly strong
terms before it begins to wind down. On-topic-ness is only a
metastable state; it causes a build-up of off-topic energy which must
periodically be discharged in occasional lengthy rants. It's similar
to summer thunderstorms, earthquakes, vulcanism etc. Stay on-topic for
too long, and the explosion could destroy the world as we know it.

The thing about this particular off-topic rant, though, is that it's
not a good discussion: it's a 'tis, 'tisn't ding-dong between
entrenched positions. Though it is faintly amusing when someone at the
same time insists that his mail system is perfect while publicly
demonstrating that it is broken.

Personally, I find that many on-topic posts are neither of interest to
me nor a topic I can help on (eg. "My NVidia card doesn't work"); I
just skip 'em. The off-topic posts don't add significantly to the
"noise", and are no harder to skip should I want to.

As far as dealing with spam goes, I find spambayes does a solid job,
and it would be nice to see it in Debian.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons