Re: more install problems

On Saturday 02 August 2003 11:19, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
[...]
> I really think the 8139too driver in 2.4.18 ought to be able to
> work this.
>
> The problem must be either a general PCMIA issue, or a problem with
> the 8139too driver being compiled-in instead of being a module.
>
> I just saw your next email, which confirms that the 8139too driver
> is OK.
>
> Can you look in /var/log/dmesg for anything relevant to pcmcia or
> network?

I cannot see anything, and grep -i network or grep -i pcmcia returned
nothing.

BUT, I first had to shut down the Morphix session and reboot.
when I did, my Thinkpad failed to boot.  I don't yet know whether this
was a result of the Morphix, or merely coincidental.  But the
messages on screen at the point of failure _may_ give a clue about
the cardbus NIC problem:

Starting PCMCIA services: modulesLinux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.33
  kernel build: 2.4.28-bf2.4 unknown
Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:02.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:05.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 01:00.0
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:02.1
  TI 1450 rev 03 PCI-to-CardBus at slot 00:02, mem 0x50000000
    host opts [0]: [serial pci & irq] [pci irq 9] [lat 64/176] [bus
7/8]
    host opts [1]: [serial pci & irq] [pci irq 9] [lat 64/176] [bus
9/10]
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 20, frame# 0
usb-uhci.c: Host controller halted, trying to restart.
usb-uhci.c: Host controller halted, trying to restart.
usb-uhci.c: Host controller halted, trying to restart.
unexpected IRQ trap at vector 5d

and that was that. There it stopped.

Does that indicate a possible IRQ problem with the card?

I then unplugged the problem PCMCIA card and operated the BRS (well,
it's small and white on the thinkpad). It booted ok without the card
in, and when I then inserted it, said
  cb_alloc(bus 9): vendor 0x10ec, device 0x8139
as ever.

This reminds me of when my kids were small, and I gave them
step-by-step instructions how to do simple tasks.  -- but please keep
going!

--
richard