Re: more install problems

Good morning, Andrew.

On Saturday 02 August 2003 08:50, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
> Richard Lyons wrote:
[...]
> > [the driver] is the version distributed by the card maker...
> > with the card.  Looks out of date.  No changelog on the disk.
>
> Is the card actually a pcmcia card (I understood it was) or is it
> built-in to the thinkpad?

Yes it's a pcmcia card. Not built in.

> Can you run "cardctl ident" and send the output.

This is what I get:

segaccia:~# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  no product info available
Socket 1:
  product info: "Realtek", "Rtl8139"
  manfid: 0x0000, 0x024c
  function: 6 (network)
  PCI id: 0x10ec, 0x8139

[...]
> > The latest version on the realtek.com.tw site seems to be:
> >
> >  Linux driver for kernel 2.4.x (RedHat 7.2 ) ver.1.60 2003/06/16
> >
> > I tried to compile that, without success.  At the risk of boring
> > everyone I attach below the session to show what happened.
>
> Unfortunately that shows that it is basically the same driver
> (8139too) as is built into the bf2.4 kernel already.

Yes, I noticed that too.  I assumed there must be different versions,
because both Knoppix (Morphix) and Mandrake fire the card up
correctly during install (from a couple of LF cover disks).

--
richard