Re: FHS question

Colin Watson wrote:
On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 02:35:44AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:

FHS says that this directory is for "binaries not needed in single user mode". But then I went over and looked at the /opt which also seemed rather reasonable as a place to put things.

It also seems a heck of a lot easier to manage the installation and (more importantly) the removal of software through the /opt structure.

I am wondering if someone could explain to me why /opt isn't used much if at all and under when circumstances it would be expected to be used, or not.

Debian prefers to leave /opt for the system administrator. Since we have
dpkg, there's no need to worry about ease of installation or removal;
you should be using the package management tools to do that anyway.

Cheers,

I concede that this is Debians choice in configuration.

Wouldn't it be possible to utilize /opt for big packages (open office, mozilla, KDE, Gnome, Java) and still leave /opt for system administrators?

I kind of like the idea of putting what you need for the basics in /usr and the cool applications in /opt and spread it around a little bit.

I guess there's really no valid reason for going one way or the other but that it's more important to have an agreed to schema when setting up files.

--
Kennedy's Market Theorem:
	Given enough inside information and unlimited credit,