FHS question

I was trolling through the Debain Policy Manual and then the referenced FHS and came up wit a question.

This is just an example.

openoffice is installed from .debs that I obtained (I believe) from a non-debian sanctioned location:
deb http://ftp.sk.debian.org/openoffice-debian/ stable main contrib
deb http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.vpn-junkies.de/openoffice/ stable main contrib

'which openoffice' tells me that these packages installed into /usr/bin/openoffice

FHS says that this directory is for "binaries not needed in single user mode".
But then I went over and looked at the /opt which also seemed rather reasonable as a place to put things.

It also seems a heck of a lot easier to manage the installation and (more importantly) the removal of software through the /opt structure.

I am wondering if someone could explain to me why /opt isn't used much if at all and under when circumstances it would be expected to be used, or not.

I have also noticed that a bried test-drive with SuSE indicated that they love putting everything in the world into /opt, but again I don't really understand the reasoning behind it or what the advantages/disadvantages might be.

My guess is that some of this comes down to nfs mounting applications, but I'm not even sure about that.

--
Ralph's Observation:
	It is a mistake to let any mechanical object realise that you