Re: FHS question

Tom writes:
> Wouldn't it be possible to utilize /opt for big packages (open office,
> mozilla, KDE, Gnome, Java) and still leave /opt for system
> administrators?

That would violate the FHS.

/opt was invented by the proprietary Unices.  The FHS includes it as a
concession to some proprietary programs sold by vendors too lazy to port
them properly.

> I kind of like the idea of putting what you need for the basics in /usr
> and the cool applications in /opt and spread it around a little bit.

BSD puts all "non-system" stuff under /usr/local.

> I guess there's really no valid reason for going one way or the other but
> that it's more important to have an agreed to schema when setting up
> files.

We have one.  It's called the FHS and Debian adheres closely to it.
Install debian-policy and look at
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/fhs/fhs.html/index.html .
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)