Re: Linux firewall vs Windows and Hardware based firewalls

Steve Lamb wrote:
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 03:11:46 -0400
Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:

These take an existing computer (Pentium 200 with 64MB RAM and 1GB hard drive, some would argue it's hardly worth pulling from the dumpster).

    Oddly enough I'd argue that those are wasted on a router.  :)

True.

But when I run squid & snort on the same box, it's not a complete waste since these actually require some CPU cycles and disk IO to do their job. I currently run with all the RAM in use and about 30% in swap, but it's nothing that I would ever notice and whatever is in swap isn't anything I need during routing surfing (no disk IO beyond logging 99.9% of the time I've noticed it).

If I skipped squid I could probably get buy with much much less of a machine.

--
Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.