Re: Knoppix ISO image is 715MB - How Do I burn it ?

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:53:15PM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> The trouble is it isn't standard. SI is a standard; the binary stuff has
> broken it. But it hasn't even broken it consistently; when talking about
> storage we use powers of 2, but when talking about bandwidth we don't. So
> how long will it take me to transfer this file? Beats me.

You sure about that?  If bandwidth isn't base 2, then I *really* suck
at math and still come up with the right answer to "how long will it take?"

> And "It's a bad plan to change now" usually also means "It will be worse
> to change later". Just look at the way all you Americans [ducks away from
> Paul] have resisted ditching your obsolete feet, miles, pounds etc. [ducks
> away from every other American].

What's with the "All you?"  First off, I'm Oregonian, not American.
The America I know would have flushed the government a second time
over the rigged election three years ago and started fresh like the
last time someone tried to force thier rule on us to line the pockets
of the rich.  I think the dissenting opinion to ill-gotten leadership
the first time it happened on this side of the pond started something
like, "In Congress, July 4, 1776, The unanimous decision of the
thirteen states of America..."  On a lighter note, I can't really
blame anybody's approval of California's statehood, they probably made
it look really good on paper to sneak such a money pit hellhole past
Washington.  8:o)

Second, given that I've been planning for far longer than America's
currently messed up national situation to emigrate, I've travelled
western Canada quite extensively and have many friends throughout the
region, as well as in Australia and New Zealand, so I've grown pretty
accustomed to metrics and I'm starting to prefer it.  It's hot enough
out when it's 30 without all the bank signs reading 86, and kilometers
definately better describe distances in the city.  Would work out
nicely in the states, too: Pretty much every city but Portland assumes
10 blocks to the mile, Portland assumes 20 in downtown and is clearly
a grid attempting to sit on diagonal farm highways and ~20 major
creeks and 4 rivers outside of downtown (for this reason, traffic is
irrevocably bad and people need to stop moving here, we're out of
space on the roads and there never was place to build more, and
there's even less now).

> > I've never seen anybody use that definition of a megabyte, it's always
> > been the (incorrect) 1,000,000 bytes or the (correct) 1,048,576 bytes.
>
> Never seen a 1.44MB floppy? That's actually 1440kB, or 1440 * 1024 bytes.

I don't count marketroids as people, so my statement still stands.
But I did forget about the floppy manufacturers pulling the same BS
that the hard drive guys are.

- --
 .''`.     Baloo Ursidae <baloo@ursine.ca>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user