Re: Knoppix ISO image is 715MB - How Do I burn it ?

* Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca) [030604 04:49]:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:53:15PM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> > The trouble is it isn't standard. SI is a standard; the binary stuff has
> > broken it. But it hasn't even broken it consistently; when talking about
> > storage we use powers of 2, but when talking about bandwidth we don't. So
> > how long will it take me to transfer this file? Beats me.
>
> You sure about that?  If bandwidth isn't base 2, then I *really* suck
> at math and still come up with the right answer to "how long will it take?"
>
> > And "It's a bad plan to change now" usually also means "It will be worse
> > to change later". Just look at the way all you Americans [ducks away from
> > Paul] have resisted ditching your obsolete feet, miles, pounds etc. [ducks
> > away from every other American].
>
> What's with the "All you?"  First off, I'm Oregonian, not American.

wingnut:~% dict oregonian
From WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:

  Oregonian
       n : a resident of Oregon [syn: {Oregonian}]

wingnut:~% dict Oregon
From WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:

  Oregon
       n : a state in northwestern United States on the Pacific [syn: {Oregon},
            {Beaver State}, {OR}]

wingnut:~% dict American
From WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:

  American
       adj 1: of or relating to the United States of America or its people
              or language or culture; "American citizens"; "American
              English"; "the American dream" [syn: {American}]
       2: of or relating to or characteristic of the continents and
          islands of the Americas; "the American hemisphere";
          "American flora and fauna" [syn: {American}]
       n 1: a native or inhabitant of the United States [syn: {American}]
       2: the English language as used in the United States [syn: {American
          English}, {American language}, {American}]
       3: a native or inhabitant of America [syn: {American}]

I think it follows that Oregonian ⊂ American.  I think it is
doubly-apparent since the "All you Americans" comment struck such a
nerve that you _do_ realize that you _are_ in fact American.  Also, your
incessant California-bashing just makes you sound snotty.

> Second, given that I've been planning for far longer than America's
> currently messed up national situation to emigrate...

This doesn't make you "not American", either.  (1)Shit, (2)get off the
pot, or (3)quit complaining that you don't like the restroom.

  -   O
    .
.       .
 \.___./

big, big smiley here.  Please don't take this message the wrong way,
Paul.

good times,
Vineet
--