Re: Knoppix ISO image is 715MB - How Do I burn it ?

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 04:01:14AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:53:15PM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> > The trouble is it isn't standard. SI is a standard; the binary stuff has
> > broken it. But it hasn't even broken it consistently; when talking about
> > storage we use powers of 2, but when talking about bandwidth we don't. So
> > how long will it take me to transfer this file? Beats me.
>
> You sure about that?  If bandwidth isn't base 2, then I *really* suck
> at math and still come up with the right answer to "how long will it take?"

Pretty sure. I think what's commonly referred to as a 14.4k modem goes at
14400bps, and I think 10Mbps Ethernet goes at 10 million (10,000,000)bps.
But I also saw it on that (physics.nist.gov) website quoted earlier, in the
"Historical Context" section.

> > And "It's a bad plan to change now" usually also means "It will be worse
> > to change later". Just look at the way all you Americans [ducks away from
> > Paul] have resisted ditching your obsolete feet, miles, pounds etc. [ducks
> > away from every other American].
>
> What's with the "All you?"  First off, I'm Oregonian, not American.

I'm aware of your history of claiming Oregon isn't part of America. This was
intended as a humourous dig, hence all the [duck]ing. I apologise if no
smiley was inferred from that - or if this is too serious an issue for you
to joke about.

Same deal with bundling all Americans together for the second part.

> Second, given that I've been planning for far longer than America's
> currently messed up national situation to emigrate,

To Canada, right? Which last I heard was in North America and hence America.
Just not in the US.

Note that I have no disagreement with you _wanting_ to be disassociated
with America; accepting reality is a different issue.

> > > I've never seen anybody use that definition of a megabyte, it's always
> > > been the (incorrect) 1,000,000 bytes or the (correct) 1,048,576 bytes.
> >
> > Never seen a 1.44MB floppy? That's actually 1440kB, or 1440 * 1024 bytes.
>
> I don't count marketroids as people,

Ah, that reality thing again :-)

> But I did forget about the floppy manufacturers pulling the same BS
> that the hard drive guys are.

The HDD guys have the excuse that they're following a standard. But a 1.44Mb
floppy is a weird mixture.

Richard