Re: xterm menus

Lo, on Tuesday, January 7, will trillich did write:

> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 06:21:07PM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:

<SNIP>

> > What does `hideous' mean here, specifically?  I commented these same
> > lines out back when I upgraded to woody, and now my xterm menus look
> > fine---same foreground and background colors as the main terminal
> > window.  I'd think you'd get the same results (unless you've set these
> > resources with xrdb or something).
>
> it's highly subjective, of course, but when you have the option
> of a fancy vignette from light gray to medium gray with dark
> gray text overlay, start white on stark black seems alarmingly
> hideous by comparison. (coming from the mac platform, i'm a bit
> spoiled when it comes to presentation.)

Ah.  Well, I've not tried this, but I'm reasonably certain that you can
take the lines you commented out in /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color,
and put them in your X resource file (traditionally ~/.Xresources or
~/.Xdefaults) with settings that you like better.  I'm not sure,
however, exactly what the set of correct values for these options is,
and this sort of thing is not generally well-documented.  :-(

Still, if you want a better gradient than the default, playing around
with this should work.

Richard