Re: xterm menus

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 06:21:07PM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> Lo, on Monday, January 6, will trillich did write:
>
> <snip>
>
> >From /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color:
> > > *mainMenu*backgroundPixmap:
> > > gradient:vertical?dimension=350&start=gray90&end=gray60
> > > *mainMenu*foreground:           gray15
> > > *vtMenu*backgroundPixmap:
> > > gradient:vertical?dimension=445&start=gray90&end=gray60
> > > *vtMenu*foreground:             gray15
> > > *fontMenu*backgroundPixmap:
> > > gradient:vertical?dimension=220&start=gray90&end=gray60
> > > *fontMenu*foreground:           gray15
> > > *tekMenu*backgroundPixmap:
> > > gradient:vertical?dimension=205&start=gray90&end=gray60
> > > *tekMenu*foreground:            gray15
> > <snip>
> >
> > aha! that's exactly the same as mine, and yet gray15 appears to
> > be misinterpreted as white on my menus. i commented out that
> > whole section (quoted above) and they're now hideous, but i can
> > read them all.
>
> What does `hideous' mean here, specifically?  I commented these same
> lines out back when I upgraded to woody, and now my xterm menus look
> fine---same foreground and background colors as the main terminal
> window.  I'd think you'd get the same results (unless you've set these
> resources with xrdb or something).

it's highly subjective, of course, but when you have the option
of a fancy vignette from light gray to medium gray with dark
gray text overlay, start white on stark black seems alarmingly
hideous by comparison. (coming from the mac platform, i'm a bit
spoiled when it comes to presentation.)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #121 from Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>
and Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
:
So you figured out your partition scheme needs updating -- and
you want TO MOVE THE /VAR PARTITION to /dev/sda#: Definitely go
into single user mode first (telint 1).  You don't want
processes writing to log files, spool files, etc... while you do
the migration.
  1.  Go Single User
  2.  mount -t <ext2> /newvar /dev/sdaX
  3.  mount -o remount,ro /var
  4.  Copy files via your favorite method ("cp -a /var /newvar" should work).
  5.  umount /newvar
  6.  umount /var
  7.  Edit fstab to point /var at /dev/sdaX
  8.  mount /var (now on the new disk)
  9.  exit (go back to multi-user mode)
When moving partitions it's important to use a method that
preserves permissions.  Otherwise all hell can break loose...
Once you're comfortable with the transfer, reclaim the original
partition for some other use.