Re: cannot open dislpay: debian:0.0

on Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 12:52:25AM -0800, Kevin (kevin@robertsesq.com) wrote:

> [...]

<...>

The following is largely irrelevant.

> make xconfig
> rm -f include/asm
> ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
> make -C scripts kconfig.tk
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20/scripts'
> cat header.tk >> ./kconfig.tk
> ./tkparse < ../arch/i386/config.in >> kconfig.tk
> echo "set defaults \"arch/i386/defconfig\"" >> kconfig.tk
> echo "set ARCH \"i386\"" >> kconfig.tk
> cat tail.tk >> kconfig.tk
> chmod 755 kconfig.tk
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20/scripts'
> wish -f scripts/kconfig.tk
> Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to display
> "10.100.4.2:0.0"
> Error in startup script: invalid command name "button"
>     while executing
> "button .ref"
>     (file "scripts/kconfig.tk" line 51)
> make: *** [xconfig] Error 1
>
> Yes I was login directly as root

To what?

Rather more important than what you're running is *how* you're running.
None of us here can peek over your shoulder to see what's on your
screen.  You have to provide that information.  You've been less than
helpful, I'm not going to respond further if you don't provide useful
information.

Here's the story:

  - If you're logging in to a GUI session on your GNU/Linux system
    (local X11 session), as root, but have mangled your $DISPLAY
    variable by hand, there is no display (X11 session) to connect to.
    This could be your problem, and fits with the information you've
    provided.

  - If you're logging in to a GUI session on your GNU/Linux system
    (local X11 session), as a non-root user, and have accessed root via
    su or sudo, but have not set, or have incorrectly set, a $DISPLAY
    variable, or have not properly configured xauth, there is no display
    (X11 session) to connect to.  This could be your problem, and fits
    with the information you've provided.

  - If you're logging in to console on your GNU/Linux system (no X11
    session), there is no display (X11 session) to connect to.  This
    could be your problem, and fits with the information you've
    provided.

  - If you're sitting at another system, not running a local X11 server,
    and are establishing a shell session to your GNU/Linux box, there is
    no X11 session to connect to.  This could be your problem, and fits
    with the information you've provided.

  - If you're sitting at another system, running a local X11 server, and
    are establishing a shell session to your GNU/Linux box, but have any
    of a number of configurations which don't forward the X11
    connection, there is no X11 session to connect to.  This could be
    your problem, and fits with the information you've provided.

Kevin:  unless you clarify precisely how you're logged into your system,
there's little but educated guesses most of us can provide for you.
Please provide the appropriate information.

Alternatively, you could use a configuration option (e.g.:  make config,
make menuconfig) which doesn't require an X11 display.

Peace.

   Reading is a right, not a feature
     -- Kathryn Myronuk                           http://www.freesklyarov.org