Re: Booting Caper.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:34:53PM -0800, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> Thanks a bunch you guys. You cleared up a lot of issues and misconceptions
> I had. I thought that you could boot another kernel while another was
> running, although in hindsight, I don't know why I thought that as the
> current running kernel would alredy be in high memory and such...
>
> Well, I found a good floppy and installed a syslinux image by hand and
> copied the proper kernel and initrd image over and it boots now. But I
> still have one problem. I am trying to boot the new stable 2.6.0 kernel
> and it say s some error and that I need to pass an init= option to the
> kernel. I've never gotten this before in 2.4 kernels. What is the init
> option and how should I use it?

Always try to quote the exact error message, not "it says some error".  However,
when you see a message about "init=", it usually means the kernel couldn't
find /sbin/init.  Either that file is missing, or (more likely) the kernel
can't read the root partition, or is trying to read some other partition.

--
No animal should ever jump on the dining room furniture unless
absolutely certain he can hold his own in conversation.