Re: Strange Sparc Behavior: FTP, HTTP broken

On Sunday 28 December 2003 05:23 pm, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> I'm running several Linux systems, and have been doing so for quite
> some time, so I'm not exactly a newbie at this stuff. But my
> UltraSparc box has me completely baffled.

Definitely sounds odd.

> FTP and HTTP are broken to the internet, but not locally. In other
> words, I can FTP into a system on my LAN, but FTP times out to the
> network. HTTP is the same way. I can ping systems (for example,
> ftp.debian.org), but FTP times out connecting to them.

Have you tried setting FTP to passive mode?

> I've tried connecting the system directly to my DSL modem (bypassing
> the network), without success. I've tried various cables. I've
> studied my configuration files. I've sacrificed a black goat at
> midnight.

LOL!  You forgot the rubber chicken.

> I see nothing unusual in the logs. What, pray tell, could be keeping
> the system from talking to nodes outside my LAN?

Can't see much here that would cause it unless there's a transparent
proxy misconfigured somewhere or a DNS issue.  I'm assuming you're
running Debian/Sparc on the UltraSparc machine.   If it's any
consolation, one of my mail/webservers is a Sun Ultra 1 running
"testing" and haven't seen any weirdness with ftp or http from that
box.  You could (just as a test) try hooking it up outside the firewall
temporarily and see if the firewall is doing something funky.  Also, I
have had interesting issues with Sparc boxes not auto-negotiating
speed/duplex to cheap switches many many times over the years... but
that shouldn't cause the weird behavior you're seeing...???

--
Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com