Re: Please suggest a mobo for >4 IDE drives.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:38:49 -0600, Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I am ready to upgrade my aging Gateway PII 300 to some thing more
> modern. I plan to build my machine if I could and therefore looking for
> a motherboard. I like to have the ability to use more than the usual 4
> IDE devices. Is there a solution (mobo choice) other than buying a
> standard one with  2x IDE hosts (for 4 drives) and additing a separate card.
>
> I am also expecting the motherboard to have built in sound card and
> ethernet but no video.

I'm not sure why you're starting a second thread on the same subject, but
check my reply in your other thread.  You can get a mobo with software
RAID (e.g. the HPT372).  The RAID controller's IDE channels will function
just like the IDE0/1 channels.  Just check beforehand that the controller
is supported by Linux, but unless it's some weird controller, it will be.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.