Re: module serial.o loaded

I am set as follows..
* kernel 2.2.20-custom (i686), CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
* gnome 1.4.x.x
* xfree 4.2.x.x-custom configured with /dev/mouse -> /dev/gpmdata
* gdm 2.2.5.5-2
* gpm 1.19.6-12 configured with repeat_type=raw, device=/dev/psaux and type=imps2

serial.o gets loaded during kernel boot for the setserial to do its initial port setting, at least dmesg reports that,
Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
beeing unused for 5 mins it is then unloaded by cron.

/etc/inetd.conf does not have any tty relevant entries in my installation.

I am still not any wiser, why it kept loading afterfwards when none of the /dev/ttyS's were used. However, I reconnected my modem from ttyS0 to ttyS1, I removed some duplicate entries in /etc/modutils/aliases and run update-modules, rebooted and it looks fine.

Thanks anyway.

P.S. Problem shared is problem halfed :-)

Thomas.

Dne 2003.12.30 10:43 napsal Jan Minar:
On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 09:53:45AM +0100, Tomas Kral wrote:
> I have included standard serial support as a module and it gets
loaded
> even when I do not use modem or any other connection over /dev/ttyS.

> When I unload it (manually or by the cron entry 0-59/5 * * * *
> /sbin/rmmod -a) it gets back again in a few minutes and this happens
on
> and on.

I suppose you mean serial.o for i386 when you say ``standard serial
support''?

Maybe dmesg(8) would be of some help to you.  What does lsmod(8) say?
What mouse/other peripheria do you have?  Where does /dev/mouse* point
to?  What does ``ps -eH'' output?  What about other cron jobs, and/or
things spawned by inetd (/etc/inetd.conf)?

> Can anyone please explain why?

It's quite hard to come with an insight given no knowledge of your
system ;-)

--
Jan Minar                    Chvostny Snovy krok. \/\ Whoopy Boo Year.