module serial.o loaded

Dear list,

I have not been to the list for quite some time, and I am glad to be back. I'd love to ask the following question. I have built my own custom kernel to compile in only features needed and to keep the kernel lean.

I have included standard serial support as a module and it gets loaded even when I do not use modem or any other connection over /dev/ttyS. When I unload it (manually or by the cron entry 0-59/5 * * * * /sbin/rmmod -a) it gets back again in a few minutes and this happens on and on.

Can anyone please explain why?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas.