Re: Realtek rtl8139 nic and 2.4.20 kernel

Uwe Dippel wrote:
> > But thanks for offering your solution. I appreciate it.
>
> With pleasure, from my side. I'm still curious, though, what the outcome
> of removing the modules with modconf, reboot, and re-insert of the rtl8139
> module would be.
> >From what you wrote, it seems a Debian-only problem. A bug, eventually ?

The latest episode in this saga...

I rebuilt the kernel with 8139too as a module, and now it is there where
it should be, and it has an address under its IRQ listing. But it still
won't connect.

When I run modconf and try to remove it, I get an error message to the
effect that the module is presently in use, and I can't access it. Who
knows what to think now?

I have reinstalled Woody about ten times now in one week, so I guess one
more time won't make a big difference, so what do you think about me
trying this: instead of just creating a new kernel, how about if, after
I get my Woody setup running right, I change my apt-get settings to
"testing", and more or less upgrade the whole system. My idea is that if
I do this using my present working connection, it will somehow be
preserved (wishful thinking?).

The other approach that I tried, was to try to start from the beginning
with the "testing" (sarge) net install version. I can also establish a
connection at the beginning of this install by manually selecting the
8139too module. But when it reaches the point of recognizing the USB, it
crashes. Is Debian always this hard to install?

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities