Re: Realtek rtl8139 nic and 2.4.20 kernel

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 01:16:01 +0900, Charles Muller wrote:

> I rebuilt the kernel with 8139too as a module, and now it is there where
> it should be, and it has an address under its IRQ listing. But it still
> won't connect.

Meaning what ?? Ping ? Its own address ? Connect you to your ISP ?

IMHO someone in here was right: module - IP - routing. We haven't had it
on routing yet.

> I have reinstalled Woody about ten times now in one week,

Did you happen to try the bf2.4 option as well ? If yes, how did it go
with your RTL8139 ?
If you get this one running, you can easily go to Testing and Unstable
with a somewhat advanced kernel. Since you don't need to touch the
kernel, it should go with you.

> so I guess one
> more time won't make a big difference, so what do you think about me
> trying this: instead of just creating a new kernel, how about if, after
> I get my Woody setup running right, I change my apt-get settings to
> "testing", and more or less upgrade the whole system. My idea is that if
> I do this using my present working connection, it will somehow be
> preserved (wishful thinking?).

Here it was ...

> The other approach that I tried, was to try to start from the beginning
> with the "testing" (sarge) net install version. I can also establish a
> connection at the beginning of this install by manually selecting the
> 8139too module. But when it reaches the point of recognizing the USB, it
> crashes. Is Debian always this hard to install?

Here neither (Woody, net installer) installed on my notebook (see
elsewhere), ever. Now I got it up pretty simple using knoppix and its
harddisk install. Pointed sources to Testing, dist-upgrade and here I am ...

With a decent installer, Debian might have twice the followers. Easily.

Uwe