Re: Kernel 2.6.0-final oopsing when using e2fsck

> Ugh. So loopback is known to have problems in 2.6.0. I didn't know that,
> thanks for the info.
 NP. It knows to have a lot of problems. :-(

> >  Sure, but that's an encryted one.
>
> Well i didn't dare to mess with a valuable partition. I really would
> *hate* it to reinstall because of that. I have of course backups of all
> important files but not a complete image.
 I mean you may experience fsck over a loopback image, if it's not
encrypted.

> Yeah, well. I don't want to mess up a perfectly working system. Maybe my
 OK, I just meant Sarge would be more or less the same, a good working system.

> > My advise is: stuck with 2.4.22. If it's working, then all good, why
> > doing risky upgrading?
>
> The main reason for me to upgrade to 2.6 is the local root bug in
> 2.4.22. As i understand it, it can be used to crack a system after
> remotely hacking, say SSH.
 Sorry, I meant 2.4.23, this bug is fixed there. Also, it's easy to
'backport' to earlier kernels, it adds two lines only... If you want, I
can check where I put that fix only as a patch.

> Also the increased performance of 2.6 is really nice. And of course
> applying up to 6 (i think) patches to a vanilla 2.4 kernel to get my
> hardware working is kinda annoying, too.
 I see. As -mm1 is available for 2.6.0 as well now, it would be good if
you start with that.

> Thanks for your reply and a happy new year :)
 Thanks! Merry Christmas first! :-) So I wish the same for you!

Cheers,
GCS