Re: Kernel 2.6.0-final oopsing when using e2fsck

> I'm currently running a heavily patched 2.4.22 kernel on my P4 system.
> Since upgrading to 2.4.23 would be a lot of work due to all the patches
> required to get my hardware working, i thought i would give 2.6.0-final
> a try (which doesn't need *any* additional patches).
 Do you really want to upgrade your kernel? 2.6.0 still has too much
race-conditions that users can exploit.

> Sadly, the kernel is reproducibly oopsing on me when i try to use e2fsck
> on an ext3 encrypted cryptoloop file
 2.6.0 has far too many issues with loopback. Thus you don't want this
and loopback at the same time. If you really want to experience with
this stuff, then go back to test11 and apply the -mm patchset, as that
has fixes for this (also, check if it's upgraded to the final 2.6.0).

> (i did *not* try to e2fsck an
> unencrypted
> file system
 It works on three of my machines (the others have 2.4.x) for months now
(switched around 2.5.74?).

> because 2.6.0-test11 managed to _corrupt_ [yes,
> reproducibly]  an encrypted one).
 Sure, but that's an encryted one.

 Don't know that. As someone wrote: check http://bugme.osdl.org/

> OS: 			Debian Woody (lots of upgrades)
 Any reason not upgrading into Sarge then? Sarge is pretty good, maybe
even better than your Woody right now.
My advise is: stuck with 2.4.22. If it's working, then all good, why
doing risky upgrading?

Cheers,
GCS