RE: Synching volumes on logout

The problem that I had, several times, was a shutdown hangup on something like
"deconfiguring inetd". At this point, the keyboard was disabled. I could
escape to another TTY# but could type nothing. The best behaved shutdown at
this point as a control./alt/del. It apparently did not flush the disks.

A manual fschk is scarey but it did the job. Had things been synched on
logout, this would have been unnecessary.

If I "journal"  (or mount the linux partition with a synch option ??), how
much of a performance loss is this? Is ext3 a better system? XFS? I created
the partition using PartitionMagic and it "recommended" the ext2.

Would a real quick unmount/mount in the bash_logout be safe and do the job?