Re: Synching volumes on logout

David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> writes:

> The problem that I had, several times, was a shutdown hangup on
> something like "deconfiguring inetd".

The script that's getting run at that point is /etc/init.d/inetd; if
this is happening repeatedly, you might look at that script further.

> If I "journal"  (or mount the linux partition with a synch option ??), how
> much of a performance loss is this?

I'd believe that running ext2 with the sync option is a major
performance hit, though I don't know for sure.  I haven't noticed ext3
being particularly slow.

> Is ext3 a better system? XFS? I created the partition using
> PartitionMagic and it "recommended" the ext2.

...and now you're asking a religious question.  :-)  Changing an ext2
partition to ext3 is easy (using tune2fs(8)), changing to anything
else involves reformatting the partition.  I use ext3 on my personal
machines and have been happy with it; the other popular option seems
to be reiserfs.

> Would a real quick unmount/mount in the bash_logout be safe and do
> the job?

It wouldn't be possible.  (Unmounting your root partition involves
being root, closing any temporary files bash might happen to have
open, and having the shell, its libraries, and the mount program all
vanish.)  Running sync(1) might work, though.  You'd want to make sure
you ran it in the right place, though; if you're running under an X
display manager, your .bash_logout file probably won't get run when
you log out of that.  There are also changes to the filesystem that
happen between logout and shutdown (like removing the pid files in
/var/run, and updating the logs in /var/log) that could still result
in a corrupt ext2 partition if the system were powered down
prematurely.

	-- Abra Mitchell