RE: Synching volumes on logout

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:12:22 +0100, David Baron wrote:

> The problem that I had, several times, was a shutdown hangup on something like
> "deconfiguring inetd". At this point, the keyboard was disabled. I could
> escape to another TTY# but could type nothing. The best behaved shutdown at
> this point as a control./alt/del. It apparently did not flush the disks.
>
> A manual fschk is scarey but it did the job. Had things been synched on
> logout, this would have been unnecessary.
>
> If I "journal"  (or mount the linux partition with a synch option ??), how
> much of a performance loss is this? Is ext3 a better system? XFS? I created
> the partition using PartitionMagic and it "recommended" the ext2.
>
> Would a real quick unmount/mount in the bash_logout be safe and do the job?

David,

No need to mount/unmount.  The command is "sync" to synchronize your
disks.  The kernel will be "sync"ing your disks every few seconds anyway.

PartitionMagic is a Windows tool, really.  Depending on the version, it
may not know about ext3.  In any case, I would advise against having
PartitionMagic create a non-Windows filesystem.  Or even a non-Win
partition. If you must use PartitionMagic rather than Linux cfdisk, then
have it create an unformatted partition and format it with Linux tools
(e.g. mke2fs for ext2 or ext3).

There are pros and cons with both xfs and ext3.  I personally use ext3.

I don't notice a significant performance loss unless I'm doing a lot of
writes (e.g. a backup, or a filesystem copy). You can adjust the ext3
journaling mode at mount time to balance between performance and ease of
recovery.

You need to do some reading probably;  start with "man ext2fs", "man
tune2fs", and "man mount".

--

It's working as coded.