module-less kernel error messages

I built a new 2.4.23 kernel using kpkg, and not only compiled everything
in, but went so far as to disable module loading. Therefore, I have no
/lib/modules/2.4.23 directory. However, I get a bunch of:
modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.23/modules.dep
(No such file or directory)

This is understandable, because said file does not exist. Is there
anyway to keep modprobe from looking for it? Possibly uninstalling
modprobe? What consequences would that have?

Thanks
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Collective Soul - Link : Disciplined Breakdown