Re: upgrade from Corel Linux

"David G. Schlecht" <dschl@powernet.net> writes:

> I've tried recompiling a new GCC but can't because the current one
> is too far out of date.

That surprises me a little; I thought a goal of gcc was to be
compilable with random crufty vendor K&R C compiler.  But this isn't
actually something I'm knowledgable about.  :-)

> I've tried loading the GCC binaries as an rpm but
> that failed miserably with missing /bin/sh errors and more.

(Using alien, or rpm directly?)

> Of course all the new versions of the tools (like apt-get) need the
> new libs and I can't compile them.
>
> apt-get doesn't work because it's too old and doesn't recognize the
> "Cache-Limit" config and the new packages are too big to fit.

Can you try something like this:

  # make sure sources.list points at Debian 'stable' or 'woody'
  apt-get clean
  apt-get update
  apt-get install apt
  # now have new APT, add Cache-Limit
  apt-get install aptitude
  aptitude # and upgrade as normal

Alternatively, you can download the .deb files directly and install
them with 'dpkg --install', but you do wind up chasing down
dependencies by hand that way.

> Sounds to me like it's time to scrap the old beast and reinstall
> debian. Or -- is there an easier path that I haven't tried?

If you're stuck with a bad partitioning scheme and really can't get
anything else to work, you might need to reinstall, yeah.  :-(

	-- Abra Mitchell