Re: trouble installing kernel image

Sam Rosenfeld <sam@wdn.com> writes:

> I am having trouble installing a kernel image which seems to depend on
> initrd. The error message below is a verbatim message which follows the
> halting of the installation.  For some reason after I add
> 'initrd=/initrd' I cannot run lilo.  Do I need initrd?

You need an initrd line in your lilo.conf (or grub.conf) if you're
using a kernel built with initrd support.  This includes all of the
prebuilt Debian kernel-image packages, yes.

> If so, how can I satisfy the request from the kernel image
> installation request?

I wouldn't worry about it at that particular point, just make sure
that you've updated your lilo.conf and rerun 'lilo' before rebooting.

> If I don't need initrd, how do I identify a kernel image that
> doesn't require initrd?

"Build your own."  (Which isn't necessarily a hard or bad thing to do,
but it is effort and does take time.  :-)

The message:

> You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version 2.4.16-k6)
> This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
> initrd.
> As a reminder, in order to configure lilo, you need to
> add an 'initrd=/initrd' in your /etc/lilo.conf

That doesn't quite look right.  I'd look in / to see what the file is
actually named; /initrd.img sounds more right to me.

> I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader. If you have already done
> so, and you wish to get rid of this message, please put
>   `do_initrd = Yes'
> in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
> Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]

(It's safe to answer "n" to this prompt, let the kernel installation
continue, update your LILO configuration, run 'lilo' by hand, and then
reboot.)

	-- Abra Mitchell