Re: Woody with Gnome2.4 Backport or Sarge?

Uwe Dippel wrote:
Now I got a second install (on a notebook): harddisk from knoppix; just up
to Testing. Also pretty stable.

Rant: Woody didn't install on that notebook (see here & bugreports), but
there is no install apart from Woody (I know, the testing, but it also
failed on that notebook - reported as well). This rant is not on these
failures, but the lack of available, intermediate installers. End of Rant.

Woody was released about 18 months ago.  Given the lag in free software
catching up to support newer hardware (usually 12 to 18 months to make
into "stable software," because of no manufacturer support), Anything
made more than 12 to 18 months *before* Woody was released may run into
problems.

I have a Toshiba laptop (from December 2001, about 7 months befor. the
release of Woody) on which I installed Woody in Decewber 2002.  Many
things worked and many did not.  Most notably, the S3 graphics required
the Xserver from testing.

Naturally you do have alternativse (even moreso than before).  You can
use the sarge intsaller, use Knoppix to do a chroot install, or just
switch to a more "current" distro, like Fedora, SUSE, or one of the
Debian derivatives.

-Roberto