Re: Woody with Gnome2.4 Backport or Sarge?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:50:07 -0500, M. Kirchhoff wrote:

> My question is thus: is it better to install Woody and backports of
> Gnome2.4, Mozilla, Pan, and other of his assorted favorites, or simply
> go with Sarge?

As they say: YMMV, here I'm typing on an Ex-Woody upgraded (dist-upgrade
!) to Unstable; i.e. one step beyond Sarge. A few things had to be sorted
out, but nothing that a newbie (myself !) couldn't manage using apt-get.

Now I got a second install (on a notebook): harddisk from knoppix; just up
to Testing. Also pretty stable.

Rant: Woody didn't install on that notebook (see here & bugreports), but
there is no install apart from Woody (I know, the testing, but it also
failed on that notebook - reported as well). This rant is not on these
failures, but the lack of available, intermediate installers. End of Rant.