Re: software raid

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:03:02 -0700, Lucas Albers wrote:

> Top copy from one partition to another do thus:
> just mount your raid volume as /mnt/md0 then do
> cp -ax / /mnt/md0
>
> This works, I've done it, and booted off a system copied this way.

I wholeheartedly agree with Luke.  I am often reorganizing and moving
partitions, and cp -ax is simple and always works just fine.

Two things to watch out for:

1.  Don't forget the "x" in "cp -ax" when you're copying your root
partition :)

2.  If you're using lilo and copying /, don't forget to run lilo (of
course I've never forgotten to run lilo myself, you understand)

3.  Remember to update your fstab (and keep a backup copy just in case
you make a mistake, not that I ever screw it up)

--

Guy: "Would you like to dance?"
Girl: "I don't care for this song and surely wouldn't dance with you."
Guy: "I'm sorry, you must have misunderstood me, I said you look fat in
those pants"