Re: software raid

hi ya andy

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Andy Firman wrote:

> > for setup of a new system ( the right way?? )
> > 	- make sure the partition type is FD(raid) not 82(linux)
>
> Can one simply change the partition type via fdisk on an existing system
> if one is going to add a new drive to RAID1 the drives?

i havent tried it ... i prefer a "clean" system so i awlays
format the raid before and copying data from the orig drive to the new
raid

> Or must this be done during initial install?

it's an experiment ( imho ) ... lots of howto convert single disk into
"raid"

	http://www.1U-Raid5.net/HowTO/SW-Raid-HOWTO.txt
	( non-raid to raid setup towards the bottom )

> > 	or just start with 2 fresh disks and leave the current disk alone
> > 	and retire it after your new raid setup is testing/working and
> > 	been running a few months
>
> I like this idea but I need help.
> A server of mine has just one 20GB drive.
>
> I have 2 spare 40GB drives.  How would I make my current install on the
> 20GB work on the 40GB drives that I want to setup RAID1 on?

that makes it easy ... since you have 2 new disks

get knoppix or other "standalone" cdrom ..
	- get it build your raid array w/ the raidtools and proper
		/etc/raidconf file
	- install that "working" cdrom system onto the new target raid
	- deselect stuff you don't want
	- make sure your kernel has raid support built into it or
	  you will have to build up an initrd too
	- restore your original "config"

test that you can boot off hda  or hdc without intervention
and all data resyncs all by itself when either is unplugged and
re-inserted a few GB-sized files has been saved while in degraded
mode

> I don't want to do a fresh install as I spent alot of time on this
> particular server configuring it a certain way.

to save your packages you selected

	# Save system
	dpkg --get-selections * > /mnt/floppy/pkg.lst
	#
	# Restore system
	dpkg --set-selections <  /mnt/floppy/pkg.lst
	apt-get update
	apt-get dist-upgrade

c ya
alvin