Re: software raid

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 07:43:31PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Lucas Albers wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to get debian stable working with software raid using
> > various documentation.

[snip]

> for setup of a new system ( the right way?? )
> 	- make sure the partition type is FD(raid) not 82(linux)

Can one simply change the partition type via fdisk on an existing system
if one is going to add a new drive to RAID1 the drives?

Or must this be done during initial install?

> 	or just start with 2 fresh disks and leave the current disk alone
> 	and retire it after your new raid setup is testing/working and
> 	been running a few months

I like this idea but I need help.
A server of mine has just one 20GB drive.

I have 2 spare 40GB drives.  How would I make my current install on the
20GB work on the 40GB drives that I want to setup RAID1 on?

I don't want to do a fresh install as I spent alot of time on this
particular server configuring it a certain way.

Thanks,
Andy