Trouble installing on Thinkpad 701C

Hello, I'm new to Debian but I've been using Linux for nearly 8 years.
I'm trying to install Debian on my IBM Thinkpad 701C (the butterfly
keyboard laptop), which has a 75MHz 486, 16MB of RAM and a 360MB hard
drive. It used to have RedHat 6.2 on it, but that was end-of-lifed, and
subsequent releases couldn't be installed on such a meager machine. It
has no CD so I have to use floppies. I made the testing boot, floppy and
net_drivers floppies, and plan to do the main install over the net.

I booted from the boot floppy and then inserted the 2nd floppy. That's
when I started having problems. First, I got lots of lines saying:
cp: Write Error: No space left on device
Then it says Starting the installer, and then it tells me (infinitely):
info: Trying to enable linux framebuffer
using /lib/modules/...etc../vesafb.o
modprobe: failed to load module vesafb

I have to go into another console and run shutdown to get it to stop. I
tried booting with video=vga16:off but that didn't help at all. I looked
in the appropriate location, and vesafb.o really isn't there. I guess
the root of the problem is that the installer can't copy some files it
needs (thus the cp errors) but I don't see why not. df tells me that shm
is 6.9M in size and has 4.6M free. /etc/mtab shows rootfs, but it
doesn't show up when I do df (?). I cleared off 170 MB on the disk
before I started, so I don't think that's a problem.

Can anyone help me, please?
--
Stuart Luppescu       -=- s-luppescu .at. uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR