Re: Trouble installing on Thinkpad 701C

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 02:12:30PM -0600, Stuart Luppescu <s-luppescu@uchicago.edu> wrote:
> I made the testing boot, floppy and
> net_drivers floppies, and plan to do the main install over the net.
 Does 'testing boot' mean that you are using the Sarge floppies? It
would be better to install a minimal Woody first, and then upgrade to
Sarge. Sorry if I misunderstand.

> df tells me that shm
> is 6.9M in size and has 4.6M free. /etc/mtab shows rootfs, but it
> doesn't show up when I do df (?).
 You can issue 'mount', and check if /target is mounted right.

> I cleared off 170 MB on the disk
> before I started, so I don't think that's a problem.
 Err, does it mean that you want to install Debian over your previous
RedHat? It's not a good idea. Anyway, 170Mb is not enough. At least
Woody from CD uses debootstrap, which copies the basic package set into
the target partition, and thus probably filling it up. Anyway, it would
be better if you provide more information.

Hope this helps,
GCS