Re: compiling kernel

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 10:52:26AM -0700, Lucas Albers <albersl@cs.montana.edu> wrote:
> > Anyway, I have many machines, three of them running with kernel 2.6.0,
> > compiled with gcc 3.3; no problems.
> What a man, I'm not touching 2.6.0 until it's in the 10 release.
 I agree with you. 2.6.0 still has too many problems, not suitable for
multi user systems (security), and has other big problems as well. OK, I
also lied (what's the past tense of lie? I always forget), as I have
problems with 2.6.0:
- one machine has boot problems with LVM2, I have to wait an extra ~30
  secs, as it tries to open my cdrom (without any medium in it). It
  fails, wait, and retry about 20 times. If I put a cd into it, then it
  fails immediately and continue;
- on my laptop I can not burn a cd if it exceeds ~400M. It burns for a
  while, and then just freeze the machine. Small cd burning is ok, and
  also ok if I reboot to 2.4.23. So I burn cd on an other computer. :-|

But no other problem really. Anyway, I _do agree with you strongly_:
2.6.0 is not for widespread yet. I will switch at ~2.6.10 on my servers,
depending the fixes get in by that time. Until then I use
2.4.23+grsecurity.

Cheers,
GCS