Re: compiling kernel

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 01:57:38AM -0700, Lucas Albers <albersl@cs.montana.edu> wrote:
> Stable gcc for stable kernel, and testing gcc for testing kernel?
 ? There's no such relationship.

> I've done 2.4.22 with gcc 3.2.3 (gcc testing) and it appeared to work
> correctly.
 3.2.3 is _not_ a test version of gcc. There's a newer one, fe I have
3.3.3 installed. Please be sure that you do not mix up the Debian
testing distribution (Sarge) with test versions of software. Sarge is
testing because the developers assembly the packages to work _together_,
they have correct dependencies, configuration etc. Also mostly they
package the _stable_ version of software.
Anyway, I have many machines, three of them running with kernel 2.6.0,
compiled with gcc 3.3; no problems.

Cheers,
GCS