Re: software raid

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 06:16:32PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya andy
>
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Andy Firman wrote:
>
> > > for setup of a new system ( the right way?? )
> > > 	- make sure the partition type is FD(raid) not 82(linux)
> >
> > Can one simply change the partition type via fdisk on an existing system
> > if one is going to add a new drive to RAID1 the drives?
>
> i havent tried it ... i prefer a "clean" system so i awlays
> format the raid before and copying data from the orig drive to the new
> raid

So when you bring up a new system, you mark all the partitions as FD?

I just tried it and the installer tells me "No Linux partitions were
detected.  At least one Linux partition is required to hold the root
filesystem...."

Maybe I am taking your statements too literally.

cfdisk shows this:

hda1   boot   Primary   Linux raid autodetect   1003MB
hda2          Primary   Linux raid autodetect   3000MB
hda3          Primary   Linux raid autodetect   3000MB
hda5          Logical   Linux swap              1000MB
hda6          Logical   Linux raid autodetect   31988MB

I can't install this way so I must use partition type 83 right?

Also, do you put symbolic links to the images in /boot instead of /
like this howto advises?:

http://www.linustech.com.cy/linux/HOWTO/lvmraid/lvmraid.html
http://www.linustech.com.cy/linux/HOWTO/lvmraid/node9.html

Andy