Re: software raid

hi ya andy

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Andy Firman wrote:

> So when you bring up a new system, you mark all the partitions as FD?

yes

> I just tried it and the installer tells me "No Linux partitions were
> detected.  At least one Linux partition is required to hold the root
> filesystem...."

you need to boot off a kernel ( install cd ) that understands software
raid  and than assemble the raid device manually ( /etc/raidconf )

> Maybe I am taking your statements too literally.
>
> cfdisk shows this:
>
> hda1   boot   Primary   Linux raid autodetect   1003MB
> hda2          Primary   Linux raid autodetect   3000MB
> hda3          Primary   Linux raid autodetect   3000MB
> hda5          Logical   Linux swap              1000MB
> hda6          Logical   Linux raid autodetect   31988MB
>
> I can't install this way so I must use partition type 83 right?

you can try to install "raid" off the bat... or install regular
and than move everything to raid afterward ( either is equally painful
unless your install bootcd supports sw raid for booting/installing )

> Also, do you put symbolic links to the images in /boot instead of /
> like this howto advises?:

/boot should not be a symlink .. should be part of / or partition
of itself  (i do NOT use /boot as a partion, its pointless and deprecated)

> http://www.linustech.com.cy/linux/HOWTO/lvmraid/lvmraid.html
> http://www.linustech.com.cy/linux/HOWTO/lvmraid/node9.html

lvm is whole other world of fun

c ya