Re: Monitor has shadows

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 11:32:29AM +0000, James Roberts wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>
> >Hi!
> >
> >I run Backstreet Ruby on Debian Woody: 2 monitors, each with keyboard
> >and mouse.
> >I recompiled X 4.3.0 for it because you have to patch X to only
> >listen/talk to one videocard/XFree86 server.
> >
> >On the one card: RIVA TNT2 Model 64 I have a Samsung SyncMaster 750S.
> >On the other one: GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X I have a Samsung
> >Syncmaster 753DFX.
> >
> >The latter clearly the high-priced spread, but...
> >on that monitor I get "shadows". Everything, the windowframes, the
> >characters, throw faint shadows. The cheaper spread is clear as a bell.
> >
> >The XF86Config-4 is here: http://home.planet.nl/~woerk095/XF86Config-4
> >
> >Anybody knows why that is and how to get rid of  it?
>

> I'm new here but this sounds to me like a cable/signal lead termination
> problem causing ringing and so double/triple image.
>
> Try swapping cables/monitors, reseating, tapping connectors, cleaning
> with no-residue spray etc.
>
> I have occasional similar probs with an elderly Samtron.
>
> The other possibility is too high refresh rate.
>
> J.

I had been experiencing this problem too.  My fonts, windows, and mouse
pointer looked like it had shadows. It was very noticable when looking at
my mouse pointer.  You would see the mouse pointer, then a few pixels to the
right you would see a fainter image of it, and then even more to the right,
an even fainter image of it.

I noticed this started happening when I bought a new monitor and video
card(Radeon 7000 AGP).  I swapped video cards and the issue went away.
I installed the Radeon in another machine and it didn't show the shadows..
Strange.

--
L1:	khromy		;khromy (at) lnuxlab.ath.cx