Re: xfree86 4.3 installing on unstable

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 04:59:54PM -0600, Bill Kalebaugh said
> David Z Maze wrote:
>
> >Lukas Ruf <ruf@rawip.org> writes:
> >

> >>is there any way to install xfree 4.3 on my Debian unstable box
> >>without switching to experimental?
> >>
> >>Thanks for any explanation on how I could achieve that!
> >>

> >You probably don't want a full XFree86 4.3 install, just the X server
> >for hardware support.  On my laptop, I downloaded the Xxserv.tgz and
> >Xmod.tgz binary tarballs from xfree86.org, unpacked them in
> >/usr/local, repointed /etc/X11/X at /usr/local/bin/XFree86, and edited
> >the XF86Config file appropriately.  It looks like I still have the
> >Debian xserver-xfree86 package installed, but I don't really use it.
> >

> I tried following your instructions to the letter, now X will not come
> up, had to re point to /user/X11R6/bin.
> What did you change in the XF86Config-4 file ????
> I need to get 4.3 working to use my video card (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440)
> as was told I could not use this card
> on anything older than 4.2.0. But my woody has 4.0.1.

You can get .debs for XFree86 4.2 on woody from http://www.apt-get.org/,
just punch xserver-xfree86 into the search box.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:                  spies Pakistan BATF Rand Corporation InfoSec