Re: xfree86 4.3 installing on unstable

Bill Kalebaugh <billk@lvnworth.com> writes:

> David Z Maze wrote:
>
>>You probably don't want a full XFree86 4.3 install, just the X server
>>for hardware support.  On my laptop, I downloaded the Xxserv.tgz and
>>Xmod.tgz binary tarballs from xfree86.org, unpacked them in
>>/usr/local, repointed /etc/X11/X at /usr/local/bin/XFree86, and edited
>>the XF86Config file appropriately.  It looks like I still have the
>>Debian xserver-xfree86 package installed, but I don't really use it.
>>
> I tried following your instructions to the letter, now X will not come
> up, had to re point to /user/X11R6/bin.
> What did you change in the XF86Config-4 file ????

It looks like the only substantive change was changing ModulePath from
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules to /usr/local/lib/modules.

[And having used this setup successfully from a couple of months, I
switched to the packages in Debian experimental, and they seem to work
fine.  Installing xlibmesa-dri, also out of experimental, seems to
have given me direct rendering support vs. the modules in the 2.4.23
kernel; with some hacking I was able to build xlibmesa-drm-src, but
I'm not actually using it.  This would seem to suggest that there's
another tarball from xfree86.org you'd need for this functionality.]

	-- Abra Mitchell