Re: xfree86 4.3 installing on unstable

Lukas Ruf <ruf@rawip.org> writes:

> is there any way to install xfree 4.3 on my Debian unstable box
> without switching to experimental?
>
> Thanks for any explanation on how I could achieve that!

You probably don't want a full XFree86 4.3 install, just the X server
for hardware support.  On my laptop, I downloaded the Xxserv.tgz and
Xmod.tgz binary tarballs from xfree86.org, unpacked them in
/usr/local, repointed /etc/X11/X at /usr/local/bin/XFree86, and edited
the XF86Config file appropriately.  It looks like I still have the
Debian xserver-xfree86 package installed, but I don't really use it.

	-- Abra Mitchell